Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Whoops. I forgot a child. Again.

 Yesterday, Lizzy had dance practice. I dropped her off at 5 and was supposed to pick her up at 6 PM. Well Jake and I were trying to find out some information on his little sister, Lorelei, because she got bit really bad by a dog and ended up in the hospital. So it turns out I lost track of time, and Lizzy had the front office lady at the dance place call me. I was proud of her for asking the lady, because all of our interactions with her so far have been with Lizzy acting super super shy. So I drove over there. The drive is only five minutes. It's over by Jordan Landing. I stopped in front of the building and saw her through the doors and went in. Her face and eyes were red like she had been trying to not cry, but the second I picked her up she ducked her face into my neck and started crying. So I sat on a chair in the dance studio for a few minutes holding her and told her I was sorry and why I was late. Eventually we left, and went to In N Out for apology strawberry shakes. 

On our way home I told her about the time I was late getting Sydney from school. I hate saying forgot, because I didn't forget (Sydney or Lizzy) but circumstances just made me forgetful. 

Sydney was in first grade (so this would have been three-ish years ago), I had her walk across the street from the school and stand on a corner and wait for me there. I hated trying to get to her in the school traffic. So she got to know the school crossing guards. Well one day in the middle of the week happened to be early out day. Instead of getting out at the normal time of 2:55 PM she got let out at 1 PM. Well I knew I had to pick her up, but I forgot that on that particular day I was supposed to get her earlier. So eventually she stood on the corner long enough (and the school crossing guard lived right across the street from the corner she stood on) that the crossing guard told her to go to the school and have them call me. So she did that, and they called me, and I totally freaked out, got Lizzy and William in the car ASAP and drove quickly to the school. I walked in and thanked the office. At this point school had been out for like 45 minutes. I don't remember if she cried or not. But to this day she still reminds me of it and teases me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment