Thursday, November 21, 2019

Buying a Van

Friday, November 8th, Since I was already down town, I picked up Jake from work and we headed out to look at a couple vehicles we found within our price range. The Tim Dahle Nissan Dealership in North Salt Lake/Bountiful is where we ended up making our final purchase. Our new "used" van is a white Chyrstler Town and Country. It is super big. We left friday night saying if it was still there in the morning we would be interested, but we wanted a mechanic to check it out first and we weren't able to take it off the lot that night since it was pretty late in the evening. So we were told it was still there Saturday morning, so we headed back down and Jake took it to have our neighbor Chris check it out and I took the girls and ran a couple errands. I went to the bank, to the car wash, and took Sydney and Lizzy on a lunch date to McDonald's. William was with Jake in the car (Jake said he fell asleep with driving around in the Van). We finished the paperwork on Saturday afternoon, but by then the bank was closed. They told us we could take the van home that day, but I felt uncomfortable taking home something that I hadn't yet paid for and didn't want anything to happen to it. So on Tuesday, November 12th, they were closed on Monday due to a holiday, I called up the bank. We got the van put on the insurance. And were given the specifics for what the bank loan would cover. We found out from our bank that we would not be getting a loan that covered the full cost (which included the taxes and stuff), they would only cover the blue book value of the vehicle. The total was like $4700 and the bank only covered $4200, so we had to find $500 to pay the rest with. We picked up the van Wednesday evening. And Jake spent an hour that night moving car seats over. Because the next morning I was going to have a full car (with babysitting my niece and shuttling kids to and from school). 
But we now officially have two vehicles again. 

Through this whole process the kids were actually pretty good. Friday night they had a coloring basket there (and I had come prepared with toys this time around vs the time we bought the white car where Jake and I just walked into the dealership and because we were knew we stayed for 5 hours and came home with a car. And Lizzy and Sydney were so bored) and the kids made friends with this other little girl and I bought them each a snack from the vending machine. Saturday worked because we left and did other things and weren't at the dealership 100% of the time, and also while they were typing up the paperwork we went to the area they had the TV and found Paw Patrols for the kids to watch. .  The time I think they had the hardest were when we were signing all the paperwork in the guys office and the kids took all his collector cars off his shelf and played with them. And then again when we were in that same office paying for the van. But I am so proud of each of them, and especially William for behaving fairly well.















No comments:

Post a Comment