Saturday, August 31, 2019

Sydney Turned 8!

My dearest Sydney. My love, you are getting so big. You are now 8 years old. You are looking so grown up, and more and more beautiful everyday.
You are so smart. Asking questions all the time that amaze me. We have some of the strangest conversations in the car. You can read anything (although you don't always comprehend what you're reading). It's getting the point (although to be honest we passed it awhile ago) where we can't spell ANYTHING without you figuring it out. I am so proud of you. I am proud of how far you have come in your schooling. I am proud of the girl you are becoming and how you treat the people around you.

I am currently trying to change the way I parent you (in small ways). For example: trying to let you figure things out on your own. Now it's not like I didn't do that, but after awhile I would give in and give you the answer. And so now you expect that. Like today (8/26/19) you were emptying the dishwasher and didn't know where the dish went. Normally I'd ask you where you thought it would go and after a minute tell you (but in a frustrated voice because you should know where it goes by now (and it's the same blasted utensil every time) and be able to put it away).  Today, I refused to tell you where it went. And you spent like five minutes twirling around the kitchen with the utensil. And in a frustrated moment (of which I am not proud of) I took it out of your hands and threw it back in the sink because you had been playing with it and I now considered it sufficiently dirty and in need of rewashing. .... Now the point I am trying to make is that I am trying to push you. To teach you to think. To try and figure out things without my or daddy's help. So I want you to struggle. I want you to feel so proud of yourself when you and you alone figure something out. Even something as simple as figuring out where a utensil goes.

You started 2nd grade this year. And were looking forward to it. We ended first grade on a good note. But we were pretty bad with reading everyday; so I'm hoping we will be better this year and that i can get you to want to do your homework vs me asking/begging you do it. 



8 year checkup: August 28th, 2019.
Height: 49.8 inches
Weight: 53 lbs

-You love to make fart/poop jokes. It drives me crazy.
-You make friends super easy when we are at the park and it makes me wish I could just go up and make friends with all their parents so that you could play with all these new friends whenever you wanted.
-You love to play games. Most recently Minecraft and Pokemon and several other computer games your dad has gotten for you.
-You (for the most part) enjoy playing with your sister and brother. Especially when you are the mom or teacher.
-You are doing really well in school. At least in the academic areas, in the personal/friend area we are still making progress.
-You love to ride your scooter, and are really good at going fast on it. Your bike not so much.
-You love to play in the dirt.
-You love to do crafts. In fact when I say were going to do a craft you get so excited.
-You like to hide away in your room and play games on your tablet. Which after a while I notice your not around I go looking for you and the tablet gets taken away. I am trying to average out our time with being active/playing/watching TV/and playing video games.
-Your one and only chore I am consistent with in having you do is empty the dishwasher. 





































































No comments:

Post a Comment